Our 2nd Survey about Route 35 started about a month after Route 35 ended in 2019.
- There needs to be a stop on south side of Shore Drive beside Kroger’s. There are senior apartments and employees at Kroger’s who would use it if there were a bus stop.
- There should be more stops on Shore Drive..one at the foot of the Lesner on each side for residents along Page Ave and in Ocean Park would make sense. I don’t want to DRIVE 2 miles to catch the bus.
- Need more handicap services to get around oceanfront if I could go- once there- walking is tough
E-scooters taking up space at bus stops. Do e-scooters pay for that space?
- The schedule is not posted at the bus stop so I don’t know when or how often it comes. Or the exact route
- Didn’t know when or where to get a return bus.
- Not familiar with how often it runs and where it stops.
- While waiting for a bus we can be there by car and come back exactly when we are ready. The bus doesn’t solve any problem for us.
- I tried once, but it was very late. Never tried again
- As I understand, you could wait for up to an hour, as it isn’t timed stops.
- Year round. Keep 30 min or less to wait. 7a to 12 midnight. Go to base entrances or close to if possiblE. DRIVERS WERE GREAT ..VB Ambassadors & information guides
- Stop by Rite Aid
- A few more stop/pick-ups in the Boardwalk/Pacific area.
- shorter wait times
- More stops at Oceanfront especially for special events
- Improve ticketing buying app so you can find stops, see times of arrival, and track live bus location with ETA. Year-round would be awesome, but at least extend the season (April to October?).
- Still not sure whether the bus stops only at designated stops or if it will stop is hailed at any point on route. Wish this info were more publicized
- Add a stop next to Kroger. There is a Special Needs young man that works there and a stop would allow him to take the bus to work. Add a stop at Kendall Street, now that the sidewalk is finished this stop would service the residents of Cape Henry Shores.
- Have Kroger sell tickets. Allow 65+ to purchase 1/2 fare tickets on the app as well as the regular fare that’s there now.
- Op.year round. First Landing/seashore park riders need to be at a pick up stop On shore drive as everyone else. Bus turning off into park area for riders waste time and resources. Never been on bus when any rider got on or off inside park. Will they pick me up at my front door? Overall, A GREAT RIDE!
Run it all year on week ends after the summer ends.
It should operate year round
- I plan to use it more next year. Would love it to be year round.
- have current bus location on an “app”. (most times we’ve used it, the bus arrived over half hour after the time we expected it. So frustrating to wait that long). We would use it much more frequently if we could avoid sending at the bus stop for about an hour each round trip.
- I like the number and location of the stops. Start in April till November. Those are the only improvements for now.
- Make special trips for special events
- More stops at Oceanfront. Like the fact that it stops at First Landing State Park for the campers. Glad we have this bus but wish it ran into October.
- Please operate year round. We go the ocean front much more frequently off season to take advantage of restaurant specials and to walk or bike ride on the boardwalk.
- I would love to have it available for thebig running eventsie Shamrock half marathon and Rock n roll half marathon.
- Purchasing tickets online was not easy. Both times the driver told me I only had one ticket when I thought I bought 2.
- Year round would be great
- Love the opportunity to get to the Oceanfront without worrying about Parking. It is the best reason for ME to use public transportation. LOVE Route 35 and would like it to run year round, why not?
- year round would be great if there are enough riders, or maybe just in the evenings. We took it to avoid the horrific traffic to the parking lots at the oceanfront.
- YEAR ROUND SCHEDULE— TICKET AVAILABILTY improvement needed- CITY ADVERTISING ON SHORE DRIVE BUSINESSES and PROVIDING TICKETS AT BUSINESSES BUS DRIVERS GREAT— GREAT COMMUNICATIONS ON VA BEACH — Keep them engaged and a RAISE!! maybe a TIP Jar… really great group ambassadors of VA BCH
Operate year round !
- Make it year round
- More promotion of Route 35 by HRT & CoVB !!
- 35 should operate year round. There are a lot of restaurants on this route and people who need to get to work year round. It is good having this bus as the 29 only runs once per hour.
- I appreciate that my teenager can take it to get down to the ocean. The drivers allow him to take his surfboard. I really appreciate that they have this route.
- Year round for the people that depend on it; although, I don’t use it often, it is an easy way to get around the beach!
Click here for a printable version of the agenda 11.25.19 SDCC Agenda
SDCC General Meeting Agenda
Monday November 25, 2019 from 7:30 to 9:00pm
Ocean Park Volunteer Rescue Squad Hall – 3769 East Stratford Rd
(parking in back, on side streets and across Shore Drive)
Special Presentation – None
Secretary – Kathleen Damon
Treasurer’s Report –Tim Solanic
Vice President – Empsy Munden
President – Todd Solomon
Route 35 Bayfront to Oceanfront Shuttle – SDCC has created a survey to collect feedback on the good and bad of the route. The survey results will be consolidated, posted on our website and shared with City Staff and HRT reps. The survey will be open until Nov. 30th. https://sdcc.survey.fm/sdcc-route-35-nov-19-survey
Electric Scooters – The City Code was amended by City Council to require e-scooter companies to have a franchise license with the City to rent e-scooters in Virginia Beach. The effective date of the ordinance is 12/16/19, which means e-scooters will not be available from that date until City Council awards a franchise license to companies to rent them. That timeframe is anticipated to be by April 2020.
Lake Bradford/Chubb Lake Stormwater Improvement Meeting – The City’s Public Works held a public information session and presented background and initial improvement plans. Tidal gates, pump stations and channel improvements were shown. Residents asked for lake dredging. The presentation can be found here https://weloveshoredrive.com/2019/11/18/lake-bradford-chubb-lake-drainage-study-november-2019-cip-7-053-presentation-from-open-house-and-survey-due-dec-12/
New Business –
Shore Drive Improvements Phase 3 and Phase 4 – With the construction start date for Phase 3 moved to summer 2021, it may be possible to pursue an accelerated start date for Phase 4 which isn’t scheduled to begin until 2024. A cost of scope savings may be possible if construction projects are combined.
Bonaventure/Windsong Development – The developer pulled the application from the Planning Commission’s December 11th meeting. It is unclear if and when the developer will reapply.
Oceanfront TGIF Funding – Taxes collected from hotel rooms, meals and cigarettes goes into a fund for oceanfront projects. Should the portions paid by Shore Drive be used for projects in the Bayfront and what are some good ideas for projects that could use these funds.
Shore Drive Community Coalition Future Structure – A new URL [website] http://www.WeLoveShoreDrive.com has been created to be a possible transition for the future. A list of ideas will be shared and discussed on how best to progress with a community organization next year. After 20 years, are monthly meetings necessary? Would once a year with the ability to set up emergency forums work? Will an online presence be acceptable to keep residents informed and what tools would be helpful?
Community Concerns– Please share any issues or concerns your groups/organizations may have at this time.
*** Next SDCC Meeting – Should we have a meeting in December or break for holidays?***
(PLEASE NOTE: Next Meeting is THURS NOV 21 at 3:30pm at Bayside Rec Center.)
Johnson assured the Commission that funding for the $29.1 million project would not be diverted to other CIP projects. Part of the reason for additional design stemmed from staffing difficulties in the wake of the May 31, 2019, mass shooting at Building 2 in the municipal complex, he said. This resulted in relocating Public Works Department offices, equipment and workers along with turnover due to retirements and transfers.
Another part of the Shore Drive improvements, Phase IV (CIP 2-118), between Marlin Bay Dive and the Lesner Bridge was paused after concept design was completed in 2008. Design is planned to resume next year with a projected March 2024 construction start. Funding for this $15.5 million phase is #1 to the BAC’s high-priority 2019-20 strategic plan.
News includes 18 month delay for Phase 3, Phase 4 delayed again, City seeks public input into Comp Plan & Fire Department services and more.
It should take you less then 3 minutes to complete it.
Note: we will be making the Survey results public.
Woo hoo fans of Route 35!
Please Note: when comparing the totals year over year(YOY) that Fiscal Year(FY) 2020 ends in June 2020.
Pro tip: Route 35 is a fun & easy way to travel around Shore Drive.
Thanks to everyone who continues to work on making Route 35 better!