Email sent May 25, 2022
Dear Mayor Dyer and City Council Members,
I recently read on the City’s website that City facilities will light up blue in remembrance of the victims of the May 31, 2019 tragedy.
“Love For VB” Around Town
- The Love For VB symbol is displayed in the “Love” sign at the Virginia Beach Animal Care and Adoption Center.
- The forget-me-not flower will again be painted at Mount Trashmore on the front façade of the hill below the City seal. Weather permitting, it is scheduled to be completed around mid-May.
- Remembrance flags, featuring the Love For VB forget-me-not flower, will be flown at more than 40 locations throughout the city.
- City facilities including Building 30, the Virginia Beach Convention Center and Virginia Aquarium and Marine Science Center will light up blue in remembrance, May 23-31.
However, I would argue that one of the City’s signature structures was left off the list, the Lesner Bridge. The $100 million signature structure was designed to be a beacon of welcome to residents and visitors. The LED lighting was one of the few upgrades added to put the “Signature” in signature bridge. The first year after completion, the lights followed a well thought out schedule. After this time, the schedule was scrapped and the lights were set to permanent blue/white scheme.
Recently it took a City Council resolution to have the lights changed to a Blue/Yellow scheme in support of Ukraine. So it is possible to have the lighting colors changed, although it doesn’t seem easy to get approval.
I would like to pass on two requests that have been mentioned by Shore Drive residents and hope you will be able to take action on both.
- Can the Lesner Bridge lights be changed to all blue (matching the blue on City facilities) on May 31st in remembrance of the victims of the May 31, 2019 tragedy?
- Can the original lighting schedule be approved and reinstated for year round celebrations? The first opportunity would be the Red/White/Blue scheme for Memorial Day, which I know may be too quick a turn around, so maybe July 4th?
I have attached a link to the previous lighting schedule for information if needed. What’s up with the fancy lighting on Lesner? Check out the plan. | #WeLoveShoreDrive
Thank you for consideration of this request. I look forward to your reply.
Shore Drive Community Coalition President